The Kitchen Shoppe offers hundreds of hands-on, demonstration cooking classes for adults, children and groups, as well as a wide selection of bakeware, cookware, housewares and cutlery.

Review: Pakha's Thai House

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 ·

Pakha’s Thai House
3 US Route 15
Dillsburg, PA 17019
Monday – Saturday 11am – 10pm, Sunday - 11am-9pm
Place an Order: 717-502-8717
Pakha's Thai House Restaurant

Average Lunch Entrée: $7.00
Average Appetizer: $5.95
Average Soup: $5.00
Average Entrée: $10.00
Average Dessert: $4.50

Cost for two: $35.02 (Price of an appetizer, two entrees and shared dessert -- excluding drinks and including a 15% tip)


Pakha’s Thai House is a tiny little restaurant in Dillsburg right off of route 15. It’s a very unassuming restaurant that if you didn’t really know it was there, you’d pass it.

Once you enter, you can split off to the left to order lunch from the counter, or you can go through the doors into the dining area. After walking through the doors, you are immediately greeted by a ton of authentic Thai culture – from the décor to the music, the atmosphere is great.

Sadly, at the time we went, we were the only patrons there.

I didn’t have to look at the menu, I already knew what I wanted. But, in the spirit of adventure, I looked anyways. LOTS of options. None of their food is canned, it’s all fresh.

I ordered my favorite Thai dish, Chicken Panang (A curry/chicken/coconut milk dish with fresh lime leaves) and my wife ordered Chicken with Vegetables (Chicken and steamed vegetables in a brown liquid). Both entrees are served with jasmine rice.

I asked for my dish to be prepared Thai Spicy, as I absolutely love spicy food.

Chicken Panang
Wonderful… as soon as the bowl of golden curried coconut milk hits the table, it fills the booth with its aroma. Thai hot is spicy, thanks to the curry and Thai Chilies added. Through the heat, you can taste the saltiness of the Nam Pla (Fish sauce), sweet and tartness of Kaffir lime leaves and the peppery Thai basil. Quintessential Thai flavor, exploding on my tastebuds. My only complaint is that the serving of rice is too small and it forced me to leave a lot of the curry in the bowl…at least until I realized I had a spoon.

Chicken with Vegetables
Tender chicken mixed with all sorts of seasonal vegetables… squash, mushrooms, bok choy, snap peas, green beans and carrots. Very healthy. The broth that the chicken and vegetables came in was incredibly flavorful. My only complaint was that two of the chunks of chicken was a little pink inside – enough to place it to the side.

At the end of the meal our bill was presented along with several Thai-imported sweet tamarind candies. Perfect end to a great lunch. As we were leaving, I grabbed a couple of the tamarind candies to go.


Bottom line: If you want delectable, authentic Thai food with a great atmosphere, head over to Pakha’s. It’s priced right, the food is delicious and once you try it…you’ll be back.

0 comments: